Two-Minute Teaching

[ver abajo para español]

The Capuchin Order was founded as a reform of the Franciscan Order in the 1500’s. One of the reforms was to be more intentional in living poverty and in serving the poor. This practice of serving the poor was carried out by St. Francis Parish as well.

1893 marked hard economic times in the United States, and Milwaukee was not exempt from these hard times. Parishioners from St. Francis took responsibility for feeding the poor who at the time were most noticeably located on the south side of the city. The kitchen used for the preparation of food was located in the basement of St. Stanislaus Church and was called the “St. Francis Kitchen”. It lasted for a year, providing about 6,000 meals overall.

The north side of Milwaukee was in need of food for the poor, too. Frederick Pabst, owner of the Pabst Brewery, was instrumental in providing food for both sites. He gave parishioners the use of a saloon on the corner of 4th and Lloyd Streets. The meals were entirely free: soup, meat, potatoes, a vegetable, bread and coffee. This north side ministry ended in 1894 and was credited with giving enough help to needy people to keep the number of criminal offenses in the city to a minimum.

EspaƱol:

La Orden Capuchina fue fundada como una reforma de la Orden Franciscana en el siglo diez y seis. Una de las reformas era ser mas intencional en vivir la pobreza y en servir a los pobres. Esta práctica de servir a los pobres se llevó a cabo por la Parroquia de San Francisco tambien.

El año mil ochocientos noventa y tres marcaba tiempos duros económicos en los Estados Unidos, y Milwaukee no estaba exento de estos tiempos duros. Los feligreses de San Francisco tomaban la responsibilidad de alimentar a los pobres que en ese tiempo fueron ubicados más destacado en el sur de la ciudad. La cocina usada para la preparación de comida fue ubicada en el sótano de la Iglesia San Estanislao y se llamaba la “Cocina de San Francisco”. Duró un año, proprocionando casi seis mil cenas en general.

El lado norte de Milwaukee estaba en necesidad de comida para los pobres, tambien. Frederick Pabst, el dueño de la Cervecería Pabst, fue instrumental en proveer comida para ambos sitios. Les dió a los feligreses el uso de un salón en la esquina de las calles Cuatro y Lloyd. Las cenas eran completamente gratis: sopa, carne, papas, un vegetable, pan y café. Este ministerio en el lado norte terminó en mil ochocientos noventa y cuatro y fue acreditado en dar suficiente ayuda a los necesitados para mantener el número de los delitos en la ciudad al mínimo.