History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee, Part 5

[ver abajo para español]

Calvary Cemetery; Wauwatosa, WisconsinThe building frenzy begun at St. Francis spread beyond the confines of the parish. Fr. Anthony Rottensteiner became pastor of St. Francis in 1878 and was asked to build a new church for the Capuchins on Bluemound Road across the street from Calvary Cemetery. In 1879, Bishop Henni donated property to the Capuchins for the construction of a church and monastery. The friars, in turn, would be responsible for funerals in Calvary Cemetery when local pastors could not be present for burials.

Funerals at this time were all-day affairs. Many pastors could not make the four-hour horse-and-buggy ride out of the city to offer final prayers at the grave. The Capuchins accepted this responsibility as well as providing services for Holy Cross Church directly across the street which was dedicated in 1880. In addition to the parish and the cemetery, the Capuchins would offer services to the county hospital, the insane asylum and the Poor Farm, all of which were close to the parish and cemetery.

St. Francis Monastery was first founded for Capuchin students studying for the priesthood. The number of students at St. Francis grew so rapidly that another house of studies was built in connection with Holy Cross Church in Wauwatosa for theological studies. Over the years, this Capuchin establishment no longer became necessary, and the parish was taken over by the Pallotine Order. Presently, it is part of St. Vincent Palotti Parish in Wauwatosa. Because of the early association of the Capuchins with this site, there are about 30 friars who are buried in Calvary Cemetery including some of the early friars of the Capuchin Order in the United States.

EspaƱol:

El frenesí del edificio comenzado en San Francisco se difundió más allá de los confines de la parroquia. El Padre Antonio Rottensteiner se hizo párroco de San Francisco en mil ochocientos setenta y ocho y se le pidió construir una nueva iglesia para los Capuchinos en la Calle Bluemound Road, ubicados al cruzar la calle del cementerio Calvario. En mil ochocientos setenta y nueve, el Obispo Henni les donó la propiedad a los Capuchinos para la construcción de una iglesia y un monasterio. Los frailes, a su vez, eran los responsables de los funerales en el cementerio Calvario cuando los párrocos de la cuidad no podían estar presentes para los entierros. 

Los funerales, en este tiempo era asuntos de todo el día. Muchos párrocos no podían hacer el paseo de cuatro horas a caballo y en buggy fuera de la ciudad para ofrecer las oraciones en la tumba. Los Capuchinos aceptaron esta responsabilidad, así como también la de proveer servicios para la Iglesia de Santa Cruz, ubicada directamente al cruzar la calle que fue dedicada en mil ochocientos ochenta. Además de la parroquia y el cementerio, los Capuchinos ofrecían servicios al hospital del condado, el manicomio, y la Finca Pobre, todos los que estaban cerca la parroquia y el cementerio.

El Monasterio de San Francisco primero fue fundado para los estudiantes Capuchinos que se preparaban para el sacerdocio. El número de los estudiantes en San Francisco creció tan rápidamente que otra casa de estudios fue construida en conexión con la Iglesia de Santa Cruz en Wauwatosa para los estudios en teología. Durante esos años, este establecimiento Capuchino no se hizo más necesario, y la parroquia fue tomada por la Orden Palotina. En el presente, es parte de la Parroquia de San Vicente Palotti en Wauwatosa. Debido a la asociación de los Capuchinos con este sito, hay casi treinta frailes enterrados en el cementerio Calvario, incluyendo algunos de los frailes más antiguos de la Orden Capuchina en los Estados Unidos.