History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee, Part 2

[ver abajo para español]

We need to do a little history of the Catholic Church in the city of Milwaukee before we get too far along with the history of St. Francis Church and Monastery.

In 1870, the population of the city of Milwaukee was 71,000 people. St. Francis Church and Monastery were part of the 6th Ward which included the land north of Vliet Street between the Milwaukee River and 7th Street. It was one of the least populated wards of the city with only 1,700 people.

In 1870, there were seven Catholic churches in the city of Milwaukee, all organized according to ethnic group. The oldest is Old St. Mary which was established in 1846. It was also the first German Catholic church in the city. Shortly after in 1847, St. John Cathedral was founded for English-speaking Catholics. Following in quick order was St. Gall Church, founded in 1848 on the corner of 3rd and Michigan. The name of St. Gall was later to be transferred to another church that many know on King Drive between Clark and Center Streets.

The Germans on the south side of the city founded Holy Trinity Church in 1850. In 1855, St. Joseph Church was created at 11th and Cherry Streets. This church name was also transferred when the parish moved to Wauwatosa in 1960. About a decade later in 1866, Polish Catholics found a home at St. Stanislaus Church. Finally, the Bohemians began a church of their own, St. John Nepomuk, in 1867.

The Germans now had churches on the south side, the west side, and downtown, but not on the north side of Milwaukee. We will see how German Catholics began to pressure the bishop to have a German Catholic church on the north side of Milwaukee and how they saw the Capuchins as their best bet for a new parish.

Fr. Francis: “Our intention in building in Milwaukee was to have a friary free from the burdens of a parish.”

By the end of the 2nd year, a parish church was pressing by bishop and people

1870, no Catholic church in the 6th Ward, this area; but various Protestant churches, German Methodist Episcopal Church on 3rd and Lloyd, from 1865

People were pressing upon Fr. Ivo – not only a parish church, but a school, too, as Catholic schools were few and distant, leaving families to send their children to public schools.

Already by 1869, leading Catholic men – John Baasen, Peter Pauly, and Adam Bormann went to Bishop Henni who wanted to gauge the level of interest and asked for at least 100 people to express this desire. Henni went to I Vatican Council and didn’t return for a year!

Fr. Francis, “not a man who changed his mind easily”, especially in this matter

1870: “This friary will not be connected with a parish.” To german fellowship organization

Gave Fr. Ivo permission to begin building operations. Before Bishop Henni returned, the groundwork for the church had begun on June 7, 1870! Work on the first church began June 25.

Early Capuchins, like Br. Felix and Fr. Pascal did carpentry work and lathing and plastering respectively! No record of contractor! Church dedicated on July 31, 1870. Collection was $9.76 for the morning Mass and $71.73 for the afternoon Mass. Church was an unadorned hall with a capacity of 600.

3. Primitive Condition.-The Parish

It was not at first the object of the Province to take charge of a parish in connection with the monastery; still, a public chapel for the accommodation of the Tertiaries and the public at large formed the plan from the beginning. The chapel which both the community and the public had heretofore used was now resented for the exclusive use of the monastery, and a new framebuilding was added which had six hundred sittings. It was begun on June 7th and dedicated to the honor of St. Francis, July 31, 1870. The little monastery with its humble chapel began to attract the Catholics, many of whom settled in the vicinity in hopes that the Fathers would change their plan and organize a parish. The hopes soon became entreaties and petitions, in which the Bishop joined, and the Fathers were compelled to submit to the inevitable. Bishop J. M. Henni gave his permission to Father Francis in presence of Father Ivo, April 12, 1870. The St. Francis' Society was organized to provide funds to build, the young men organized under the patronage of St. Anthony, June 13, 1870; the ninety-nine subscriptions collected by the St. Francis' Society were handed to his Lordship, Dec. 11th. At that time Milwaukee had 71,464 inhabitants, the Sixth Ward, 1,700; St. Francis' parish was the eighth in the city. The first baptism is recorded on April 8th, the first marriage on April 27, 1871 ; the records of this year show twenty-seven baptisms, three marriages, and five funerals. As soon as the chapel was completed, a school was built to accommodate four hundred children, and dedicated Aug. 18, 1871.

EspaƱol:

Necesito mencionar un poco sobre la historia de la Iglesia Católica en la ciudad de Milwaukee en el siglo diez y nueve antes de que vayamos demasiado lejos con la historia de la Iglesia y el Monasterio de San Francisco.

En mil ochocientos setenta, la población de la ciudad de Milwaukee era setenta y un mil personas. La Iglesia y el Monasterio de San Francisco eran parte de la sexta sala que incluía la tierra norte de la Calle Vliet entre el Rio Milwaukee y la Calle Siete. Era una de las salas menos poblada en la ciudad con solamente mil setecientos personas.

En mil ochocientos setenta, había siete iglesias católicas en la ciudad de Milwaukee, todas organizadas según los grupos étnicos.

La más vieja es Vieja Santa María que fue establecida en mil ochocientos cuarenta y seis. Era también la primera iglesia católica para los Alemanes en la ciudad. Poco después en mil ochocientos cuarenta y siete, la Catedral de San Juan fue fundada para los católicos de habla inglesa. Rigiendo muy rápidamente fue la Iglesia de San Galo, fundada en mil ochocientos cuarenta y ocho en la esquina de la Tercera calle y Michigan. El nombre de San Galo fue transferido luego a otra iglesia que mucha gente conoce en King Drive y entre las Calle Clark y Centro.

Los alemanes en el lado sur de la ciudad fundaron la Iglesia de la Santa Trinidad en mil ochocientos cincuenta. En mil ochocientos cincuenta y cinco, la Iglesia de San José fue creada en las Calles de Undécima y Cereza. El nombre de esta iglesia también fue transferido cuando la parroquia se mudó a Wauwatosa en mil novecientos sesenta. Casi una década después en mil ochocientos sesenta y seis, los Católicos Polacos encontraron un hogar en la Iglesia de San Estanislao.

Finalmente, los Bohemios comenzaron una iglesia ellos mismos, San Juan  Nepomuk en mil ochocientos sesenta y siete.

Ahora, los alemanes tenían iglesias en el lado sur, el lado oeste, y en el centro de la ciudad, pero no en el lado norte de Milwaukee. Veremos cómo los Alemanes Católicos comenzaron presionar al obispo para tener una iglesia católica alemana en el lado norte de Milwaukee y como vieron a los Capuchinos como su mejor apuesta para una nueva parroquia.

En el momento en que el Monasterio de San Francisco fue dedicado en mil ochocientos sesenta y nueve, los alrededores ya estaban viendo un crecimiento en el número de hogares y familias moviéndose al área. Lo hicieron después de oír de la venida de los Capuchinos a Milwaukee. Justo como el Padre Buenaventura había predicho, el área comenzaba a desarrollarse con los propietarios quienes estaban emocionados de ser vecinos a los frailes.

El Padre Ivo estaba encargado no solo de la construcción del monasterio, sino de recaudar fondos. El año mil ochocientos sesenta y nueve todavía era un tiempo de mucha privación mientras la gente estaba luchando para reconstruir después de la Guerra Civil que había terminado solamente cuatro años antes. Todavía, el nuevo monasterio era un signo de gran esperanza para el área y particularmente para los alemanes en Milwaukee.

El monasterio fue construido para albergar una escuela de teología para los Capuchinos que estudiaban para el sacerdocio. Los primeros cuatro estudiantes Capuchinos llegaron en mil ochocientos setenta y otros llegaron luego, tan es así que los doce dormitorios creados para los frailes Capuchinos en la residencia estaban llenándose rápidamente. Algunos frailes estudiantes estaban listos para los estudios en teología en Milwaukee, pero no había ningún espacio para ellos en el Monasterio de San Francisco. Más alojamiento y más construcción fueron necesarios.

El ala sur del monasterio se propuso para albergar más frailes en el segundo piso y tener un gran comedor en el primer piso. Muchos feligreses presentes han estado en ese gran comedor usado para los eventos parroquiales y celebraciones. A pesar del costo adicional y recaudación de fondos, el ala sur fue construida y estuvo lista para ser ocupada al final de mil ochocientos setenta y uno.