History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee

[ver abajo para español]

Mr. John J. Mayer, pictured center

Father Ignatius became pastor of St. Francis in 1888 and served for nine years. When he arrived at St. Francis, he recognized the need for a new school, as the number of students was rising year after year. Even with a parish debt of $20,000, which was very significant in those days, Fr. Ignatius could not ignore the need for a new school.

As mentioned before, this territory of St. Francis stood on swampy ground, making for some very unstable foundations. Such was the case with the construction of a new school. The foundations were dug much deeper to ensure a solid base for the school building. The new school cost $28,000, but the need for deeper foundations drove the cost of the new school even higher.

Archbishop Michael Heiss of Milwaukee took a keen interest in all that was happening at St. Francis. He came to bless the school in August of 1889. By this time, the school enrollment numbered 500 students. The following year, enrollment rose to 630. The Sisters of Notre Dame were the primary teachers in the school. But in 1889, the first male lay teacher was hired for instruction of boys in the upper grades. This became a standard feature for teachers in St. Francis School, with the male teacher often doubling as the parish organist. Most notable of all is Mr. John Mayer who taught in the school from 1892 until 1923, but who also continued as parish organist for over 50 years until 1943.

EspaƱol:

El Padre Ignacio se hizo párroco de San Francisco en mil ochocientos ochenta y ocho y sirvió por nueve años. Cuando llegó a San Francisco, reconoció la necesidad de tener una nueva escuela, pues el número de los estudiantes estaba creciendo cada año. Aun con una deuda de veinte mil dólares, que era muy significante en esos días, el Padre Ignacio no podía ignorar dicha necesidad.

Como he mencionado antes, este territorio de San Francisco fue fundado en terreno pantanoso, haciendo las fundaciones muy inestables. Tal fue el caso con la nueva escuela. Las fundaciones fueron cavadas más profundas para asegurar una base sólida para el edificio escolar. La nueva escuela costó veintiocho mil dólares, pero la necesidad de fundaciones más profundas elevó aún más el costo de la construcción.

El arzobispo Miguel Heis de Milwaukee tenía un gran interés en todo lo que pasaba en San Francisco. Vino a la iglesia en agosto de mil ochocientos ochenta y nueve. En ese momento, la matrícula escolar era de quinientos estudiantes. El año siguiente, la matricula creció a seiscientos treinta. Las Hermanas de Notre Dame eran las maestras principales en la escuela. Pero en mil ochocientos ochenta y nueve, el primer maestro laico fue contratado para la instrucción de los muchachos en los grados superiores. Se hizo una característica estándar para los maestros en la escuela de San Francisco, con el maestro quien a veces también actuaba como el organista parroquial. El mas notable de todos es el Señor Juan Mayer quien enseñó en la escuela desde mil ochocientos noventa y dos hasta mil novecientos veintitrés, pero quien también continuó como organista parroquial por más de cincuenta años hasta mil novecientos cuarenta y tres.