History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee

[ver abajo para español]

1885 proved to be a great year for additions to the church. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about the addition and dedication of the organ in September of 1885. Just prior to that in July, Archbishop Michael Heiss came to St. Francis to bless the new church bells.

Once again, Fr. Luke was instrumental in obtaining bells for the new church. He ordered four bells from a company in Baltimore, Maryland. But a fifth bell was added when another generous benefactor stepped forward and made a contribution. The history records, in fact, that the donor of the fifth bell was somewhat upset that he had not been asked to donate one of the church bells for the tower.

The bells vary in size and weight, the largest being 3,678 pounds in weight. It is called the Bonaventure Bell as it was donated by the St. Bonaventure Society in the parish. It is the second largest bell in the city of Milwaukee; the largest is a bell in City Hall. The bells of the church are still active today. There is nothing artificial about the bells and they are not activated mechanically nor by an electrical device. The bells can only be rung by hand, pulling each one individually on thick rope.

Español:

El año mil ochocientos ochenta y cinco resultó ser un gran año para las adiciones a la iglesia. Mencioné un par de semanas atrás acerca de la adición y dedicación del órgano, en mil ochocientos ochenta y cinco. Justo antes de eso, en Julio, el Arzobispo Miguel Heiss vino a San Francisco para bendecir las nuevas campanas de la iglesia.

Nuevamente, el Padre Lucas era instrumental para obtener las campanas para la nueva iglesia. Él ordenó cuatro campanas de una compañía en Baltimore, Maryland. Pero una quinta campana fue añadida cuando otro benefactor dió un paso al frente e hizo una contribución. La historia dice que, de hecho, este benefactor de la quinta campana estaba algo molesto que no se le había preguntado si podía donar una de las campanas de la iglesia para la torre.

Las campanas varían en tamaño y peso, la más grande siendo de tres mil seiscientos setenta y ocho libras en peso. Se llamaba La Campana Buenaventura porque fue donada por La Sociedad Buenaventura en la iglesia. Es la segunda campana más grande en la ciudad de Milwaukee; la más grande es una campana en la Municipalidad. Las campanas de la iglesia todavía están activas hoy. No hay

nada artificial acerca de las campanas y no son activadas mecánicamente ni por dispositivo eléctrico. La campana solamente puede sonar manualmente, tirando cada una individualmente, de una cuerda gruesa. 

EspaƱol: